As for this session's progress... Well, you win some, you lose some. I spent about 3/4 of my time trying something new with the vines only to scrap it all and go in a different direction. Progress is hard to show when this happens. I included close ups (before and after) of a section I was able to get done before time ran out. I think I'm going to refine all the vine lines like this. I'm also definitely planning to take some out, it got kind of crazy and I don't even have all the foliage in yet.
Needless to say this technique is going to take time! I started this piece wanting it to just be a concept. Still loose and fun. As I go along however, I've gotten more and more detailed. This isn't a bad thing, just different. I think it's safe to say this passed the concept line a while back and now sits in the territory of illustration. Either way it is still very interesting to work on... even if I have to back track every now and then.
BEFORE - Vines
AFTER - Vines Refined